About Lambert Court
By looking at old maps, photographs and architectural clues relating to Glovers Court, it is possible to determine the history of the early buildings and when later modifications took place on this site.
The first reference to a building on this site is indicated on an 1847 map of Preston. These early structures were used as horse stables. Architectural evidence suggests these structures were then demolished and replaced with a building similar to the footprint of 46 Glovers Court as it appears on the 1893 Ordnance Survey map.
Early twentieth century maps suggest various demolitions and additions then took place on the site.
Old photographs show many walls of the building were constructed in English garden wall bond, a brick wall building method commonly used in the North from the late 18th century onwards, and also used occasionally for garden walls.
Inspection of various windows and internal wooden panelling indicates the existing structure was probably established in the 1930’s. It was used predominantly as a print works operated by Victorian Lambert Brothers.
By the start of the 21st century the property was vacant and falling into disrepair. It contained abandoned printing equipment and was overrun with weeds.
A Heritage Lottery Fund’s Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) grant was secured in early 2014 to bring 46 Glovers Court back into use.
A Heritage-based initiative involves the reuse of building materials still in usable condition, hence original slates and brickwork was removed, assessed and stored for reuse. Where new materials were brought in, an attempt was made to match the new materials with existing material on site.
The building was also stripped back and revealed beams and bracing and a traditional king post roof truss.
A hand painted fascia board and door glazing from the building’s printworks days was carefully removed and refitted internally as a reminder of the building’s industrial history.
Internally the office accommodation was given a full fitout reflecting 21st century styling with steelwork, glass partitioning and skylights all of which offer a bright, relaxing working environment.
The building was renamed Lambert Court to reflect its history as a printworks.
The site today
Following restoration and refurbishment, Lambert Court stands today as a building with a strong character where traditional construction successfully marries cutting edge technology to create a desirable central office location.
The property was sold to Soap Media, a digital marketing company, which moved into the site from nearby accommodation creating a brand-new headquarters for them right in the heart of Preston city’s hustle and bustle.
The firm now enjoys working in a more accessible open plan office layout with bright airy ambience which is provided by the glass roof lighting.
An inspirational environment that encourages creativity.
“Quote from Adam”
Adam Davis, Director, Soap Media
“Quote from Nigel”
Nigel x, PCC